Prev: Re: Sculpting Miniatures Next: RE: [DS] daleks (long)

Re: Sculpting Miniatures

From: devans@u...
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:16:09 -0600
Subject: Re: Sculpting Miniatures

I was beginning to wonder if the first post was about the technical
side of sculpting, or how/who to contact.

If you will listen to one whose projects are all beginning, never
finished, I'll take a stab.

On the former, Sculpey was mentioned already, and is very popular,
FIMO being a somewhat less accepted if no Sculpey to be found. I
am aware of many pros who use epoxy, though, of course, the slow
curing kind, as well as a few that use wax.

Dental instruments are not uncommonly used for molding and carving;
I've gotten a few for free just by asking my dentist if he had any
broken. Many are two ended, and even the broken end may have use
for sculpting.

As for instructions, I know I've seen some articles in older Dragons
on conversions; adding chaotic attributes to a fig is a nice way to
work your way up to full scale modeling.

As for getting into the business, a previous poster is probably
correct about it being difficult to get in, more so to make even
spare change. However, I've heard of some folks sculpting their
own figs, placing them in national painting contests, then getting
the attention of companies by a note on the fig about being scratch
built. Anyway, a large con usually has several companies in the
dealer's booth, and occasionally someone will be willing to look at
your work.

For space ships, my own limited dabbling has been with styrene, and
given the neat shapes and textures to be found in the lowly soft
drink lid, not to mention model kits and Evergreen/Plastruct/whatever
packs, one could bash for years.

Now, did any of the above go towards what you were asking?

The_Beast

Prev: Re: Sculpting Miniatures Next: RE: [DS] daleks (long)