Prev: SV: "Average" FT ship size? Next: Re: Simultaneous fire

Re: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:03:34 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs

On 20-Jan-00 at 12:02, Sindre Cools Berg (cobos@saers.com) wrote:

> Snipped alot..
>
> > ---------------------------
> > G'day to you, too.
> >
> > PTA stands for Pulse Torps Anonymous, right?  When's the next
meeting?
> > :) I guess "singles" night has a different meaning to those of us
> > constantly rolling ones.  :)
> >
> > I already commented to another about using FB ships; to put it
bluntly:
> > blech.
> >
> > On missile boats, tried it.  I have this knack for hitting "bonzai
> > jammers". Maybe I should try multiple shot missile barrages.  But
his
> > newest designs have many PDS and all big ships have ADFC.  Takes a
lot to
> > get through. Someone else commented about More Thrust missiles.  He
> > actually tried it once and I outmaneuvered them.  Conclusion: not
very
> > good.  But, against his slow ships?  I may have to design some ships
with
> > them. They are still only hit on a 6 from a PDS using FB?  What
about
> > class-1 beams?
> >
> > Glen

You should ALWAYS use multiple shot missile barrages.  Count on it
taking 4 PDS's to take out one SM.  If you drop 8 SM's on him that
is 32 PDS's, he isn't going to have that.

As for the bonzai jammers, if he has a thrust 1 ship you should
be able to put most your missiles UNDER his base.

If he starts at speed 4 (and that is what it sounds like he is
doing)	his possible positions are all within a 1" area.  He
can fluctuate 1" forward and back or 0.5" side to side.  At
speed 8 his side-side fluctiations are still 1".  This is a
trivial attack for SM's.  You just need to overwhelm his
defences.

If you think that is a problem go the MT missile route.  Banzai
Jammers don't work against those and he still needs 2 PDS's
for each missile for a sure kill.

One other thing, if he has 1500 points and you have two fleets
of 750 points under two commanders he is starting out at a
significant advantage.

Roger

Prev: SV: "Average" FT ship size? Next: Re: Simultaneous fire