Prev: Re: Nice work John C! Next: SV: "Average" FT ship size?

Re: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs

From: Sindre Cools Berg <cobos@s...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:00:07 +0100
Subject: Re: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs

Snipped alot..

> ---------------------------
> G'day to you, too.
>
> PTA stands for Pulse Torps Anonymous, right?	When's the next meeting?
 :)
> I guess "singles" night has a different meaning to those of us
constantly
> rolling ones.  :)
>
> I already commented to another about using FB ships; to put it
bluntly: blech.

> On missile boats, tried it.  I have this knack for hitting "bonzai
jammers".
> Maybe I should try multiple shot missile barrages.  But his newest
designs
> have many PDS and all big ships have ADFC.  Takes a lot to get
through.
> Someone else commented about More Thrust missiles.  He actually tried
> it once and I outmaneuvered them.  Conclusion: not very good.  But,
against
> his slow ships?  I may have to design some ships with them.
> They are still only hit on a 6 from a PDS using FB?  What about
class-1 beams?

> Glen

I'm not exactly a tactical genious but here goes..

If he is the one using very slow ships with banzai jammers, it is very
easy to
counter that. Try making a real fast high speed pass taking out his
banzai jammers
(which in non FTFB battles usually are rather small) with your own beams
or torps
or secondary submunition packs or a small barrage of missiles with good
spread...
Then do a large circle and come at him again, this time dumping missile
in nice
large stacks now that his jammers are gone...
If he has small ships with ADAF try concentrating missiles on them so
they can't
use their PDS on anything but themselves (or risk losing them to protect
the
larger ship). If he uses ADAF on the large ships themselves, the idea is
to spread
the missiles a bit around so he have to either put everything on one
ship and save
that or lessen the blow on all ships... Fighters are excellent for this
kind of
damage spreading (i.e. they work as FB missiles with better aiming :)

Or a pretty devious way...if you know he has relatively many points tied
up in PDS
and ADAF..make real heavy beam ships, with low speed, low arc and
shields and just
slug him out of it...if you drop the PDS and the arcs you get more beams
per ship
and thus should win...

Sindre
--
All Birthright fans try the new and now
OFFICIAL BR Fan site: www.birthright.net

Prev: Re: Nice work John C! Next: SV: "Average" FT ship size?