Prev: RE: For the guys down under [SG2 in the city] Next: Re: [OT]Cyber Squad

FT: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs

From: GBailey@a...
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 18:43:40 EST
Subject: FT: tactics vs a slow mover with high arcs

I've been playing FT for months with and against this guy.  It's a
rare battle that I win against him.  The few times was with pulse
torps that had a high percentage of hits (I always have 1 out of
the bunch miss, even at point blank range) and I have the initiative.
We design our own ships using FB (if we wanted to play with crappy
pre-designed ships we'd play SFB... *cough*).  His designs are
based on the miniatures he's using: WW1-WW2 era naval ships.
Move 2 (now he's gone to move 1), 5 arc class-3 beams with some
class-2s (the secondarys) and class-1s, point defenses and each
"BB" has a an area defense, weak hulls with lots of armor (he saw
that he lots of armor left upon the first threshold and he commented
that he may go with average hulls and less armor).  Since I have a
lot of "Star Trek" and SFB minis my designs are based on what I
think they should have, with many variations.  I hate move 2 ships.
Move 4 or better for me.  I don't know why I keep trying, though,
I can't seem to get a handle on cinematic movement.  Forget me
using Nova Cannons or Wave Guns, I end up pointing those things
at my allied ships more often than the enemy.  Besides, I must have
circles with a sign pointing to the center saying "Nova Cannons and
Wave Guns here" on my ships that only the enemy can see.  I've
been called the "Wave Gun Attractor" at least once.  *sigh*
Oh, and this guy has this thing about rolling lots of 6s against me.
He says to his many many dice before rolling "this is a Glen designed
ship" and it works.  Now we all have a saying when someone rolls well
with beam dice "that's a Steve roll" (his name is Steve).  double *sigh*
So I'm tired of being the wimp that bully Steve picks on so any
suggestions
for tactics?  Any ideas for improving tactical maneuverability?
Although
I had a thought about that yesterday that I should plan for two turns
ahead
on the approach shot so have to give it a try.

This brings up another point.  I think increased arc costs are too cheap
compared to maneuver cost.  Or is it that I'm just terrible at
maneuvering?
Maybe I should "sink" to his level and design multi-arc slow moving
ships as well?

Glen

Prev: RE: For the guys down under [SG2 in the city] Next: Re: [OT]Cyber Squad