Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Battles Next: Beth's poll

UK/US in balkans (as the UN)

From: "Thomas.Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:58:19 -0500
Subject: UK/US in balkans (as the UN)

One interesting point that Alan brough up:

The airport being occupied by Russian troops. As I understand it, the
Brits
were ready to go with their tanks and Gurkhas and whatnot, and they got
"STOP, WAIT 1" order from the UN command because for political reasons
it
was expedient for the US to be the first force in. But they were slower
being ready to go. The Brit general apparently said all manner of
unprintable things. Meanwhile, the Russian area commander picked up on
the
situation, and decided he wanted to be a player with or without Moscow's
permission. So off he went. Then when the US/UK UN force heard the
Russians
were inbound, they said "GO! GO! GO FAST!" and it was a frantic scramble
which we know the Russians actually won.

A good example of how politics interferes with military operations under
UN
auspices.

And FWIW, I totally concur that Navies and Air/Space units will
coordinate
better than infantry. You can use online computer translators to bridge
language issues. And procedures may differ, but I don't think as
profoundly
as groundpounder combat ops do. I think that'll always be a tangle to
coordinate unless the forces spend a long time training together. I hope
simulate some of this in our Grey Day To Die scenario at Lancaster.

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Battles Next: Beth's poll