Prev: Re: [OT]Cyber Squad Next: Re: [OT]Cyber Squad

Re: [FT] Fleet Battles

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 14:54:15 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
Subject: Re: [FT] Fleet Battles

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Alan E and Carmel J Brain wrote:

> Denny Graver wrote:
>
> > Do people use the fleet combat rules from MT (page 8: Squadron
> > Operations)when fighting fleet battles ?  i.e.. organise ships into
> > squadrons and issue group movement orders and fire all ships in the
group
> > simultaneously.

personally, i always use squadrons for movement - i write orders for a
squadron leader, and then draw a little flag in the orders box of the
other ships in the squadron to denote that they're following the same
orders (the flag is a vertical line with a triangle off the right, like
an
angular P; it's quick to draw). if i want one ship to break formation, i
write orders for it separately.

> I nearly always use identical orders for groups of ships. Something
> like:
> Turn
> 1.	 All Spd 6+2=8 R1
> 2.	 All Spd 8-1=7 L2
> 3.	 1 Spd 7-4=3
>	 2 Spd 7-3=4
>	 3 Spd 7-2=5
>	 4 Spd 7-1=6
> 4.	 1 Spd 3+4=7
>	 2 Spd 4+3=7
>	 3 Spd 5+2=7
>	 4 Spd 6+1=7
> 5	 All Spd 7-3=4
> which would turn a line-abreast formation heading straight up the
table
> into a line-abreast formation going left-ish.

i don't usually bother with this, so i would go from line-abreast
heading
north to line-astern heading west. my squadrons are generally 3 or 4
ships
in a triangle or diamond respectively, so it makes relatively little
difference. i always use ships of the same class in a squadron (ie a DD
sqn, a CL sqn, even a BB sqn).

> However, I always fire ships separately.

same here; firing as squadrons would change the game: i could lump all
my
big ships in one squdron and fire them all at once on my first action.
prevent this, we'd need rules about valid squadrons, which would be a
pain.

tom

Prev: Re: [OT]Cyber Squad Next: Re: [OT]Cyber Squad