Prev: Re: OT: Battleships vs. Carriers... Next: RE: Decals

Re: Decals

From: Michael T Miserendino <MTMiserendino@l...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:16:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Decals

The more I see the decal discussion progress regarding ship types, the
more
I would like to see this in 1/4" size to use on the ship bases.  This
allows
those of us who make the ship bases detachable to allow the ships to
represent different ship types without touching the mini directly.  I
currently use 1/4" lettering from the office supply store, but you need
stick each letter individually which is a pain.

I would pay for a nice 1/4" decal sheet that had clear lettering with
the
ship types already created.  Have a choice of colors like white, black,
and
red.

The only addition would be a number and maybe a ship type modifier that
is
not normally with the type (extra letters, etc.).  Of course you just
use
the number decal on the ship mini for this.

Mike

Thomas Barclay wrote:
>>> owner-gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU at internet 01/11/00 02:08PM >>>
Okay, here's my thoughts:

For a first sheet of names/numbers, do the standard classes
CT - corvette
FF - frigate
DD - destroyer
CA - cruiser (heavy)
CL - cruiser (light)
CE - cruiser (escort)
BC - battlecruiser
BDN - battledread
DN - dread
SDN - superdread
BB - Battleship
CVL - light carrier
CV - fleet carrier
CVA - attack carrier
SC - Scout

That should cover most ship types.

Do abbreviation with a dash (as in "CVA-") and do the numbers (1-12) in
the
same font and colour separate.

Do a sheet of these in one font for each navy.

These provide the "basemarking" most of us are forced to paint on...

If you want to do a sheet of names (quadranted) then use historical
names
from FB/FT/MT and others from actual naval history. If I'm not mistaken
though, some navies use just numeric designations (NAC would have RNS
Royal
Sovereign whereas ESU might have KV-144 (I don't know ESU designators,
but
someone on the list will)and the germans might us KRS Graf Spee). Find
out
what the typical format for each nation is, and try to do names of
general
use. I think you'll want to really to a separate page for each
nationality
to give a good variety of names.

This brings up an interesting topic: Indy has fleet lists, but not a
compiled list of ship names for the fleet. Is anyone working on such a
list?
Should someone (else... I'm too busy getting ready for lancaster)
compile
one?

Now, for "onship" decals, national logos are good. So too is the hull
art
idea (keep in mind the different ship shapes). And the aforementioned
ship
names, if you can get them in a small enough font. One of the downsides
is
few GZG ships give you an area to put a long thin decal on without too
much
hull detail to cause problems.... Jon likes to contour his ships...

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Michael Miserendino
Senior Software Engineer
Lincoln Re
mtmiserendino@lnc.com

Prev: Re: OT: Battleships vs. Carriers... Next: RE: Decals