Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #646 Next: Re: I need help with starting a campaign.

Re: [FT] Miniatures (The GZG Digest V1 #640)

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 12:30:09 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Miniatures (The GZG Digest V1 #640)

On  3-Jan-00 at 13:06, W. Nitsche (bnitsche@u.washington.edu) wrote:
> From: Roger Books <books@mail.state.fl.us>
> Subject: Re: [FT] Miniatures
>
> On 29-Dec-99 at 21:21, Laserlight (laserlight@quixnet.net) wrote:
> >
> >> Seriously, the only question I have is about the way the mounting
> >> holes on the ship are too big for the plastic stands.  I could just
> >> epoxy them permanently onto the bases, but I'm sure someone has a
more
> >> elegant solution?
> >>
> >Drill them out a bit more (being careful not to go all the way
through
> >as I did on one), epoxy in a piece of small square brass tubing.  Put
> >a piece slightly larger on the base and epoxy it.  Removable bases.
:)

> The way I've done it is to fit one end of a brass tube into the ship
and
> epoxying a piece of square tubing onto the end that fits into the
base.
> I'm wondering if the all square post may be stronger -- which is
harder to
> bend, a square tube or a circular tube?  Any structural engineers out
> there? ;)

Well, the epoxy would give before I bent the square brass tubing
(DAMHITK).
The reason I used square tubing was that I don't have to worry about the
ship spinning on the base.  That would be annoying.

> Note -- (I _think_ I was the original poster of this solution when
packing
> solutions came up 6 months or so ago, but it seemed such an obvious
one
> that I'm not comfortable taking credit for it).

I think you were also, I need to put your name in a "list of credits"
because I feel guilty sending this solution when I can't remember who
came up with it.

It definately makes transport of FSE and most of my other ships easy.
It also forces people to lift the minis by the base instead of handling
my paint jobs (such as they are).

Transport of UNSC ships is going to prove a little more difficult.

Roger

Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #646 Next: Re: I need help with starting a campaign.