Prev: Re: Medtech a la Los Next: RE: FT AAR - Operation Furious Riposte - 20,000 pt battle

Re: Basing figures

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 08:37:10 -0700
Subject: Re: Basing figures

>At the local home depot the other day I located an
>epoxy putty that was perfect for basing figs.
>
>It comes in a roll of grey putty around a central rube
>of black putty that when mixed together, harden into a
>solid bonding epoxy.
>
>It worked wonders with some very top heavy figures I
>was using, GW Seraphim. I cut off a bit of the epoxy,
>mixed and placed it on the underside of the plastic
>base. Then I took a washer (for extra weight and
>stability) and pressed it tight to the underside of
>the base.
>
>This pressed the still-soft epoxy putty into the
>base's slot.
>
>Then I pressed the figure's base tab into the epoxy
>and allowed it to dry.

Sounds like Loctite Weld Stik (14600-R). There are a
number of similar products. Some set faster or harder
than others, and some are easier to work with than
others (set hard and easy to work are generally opposing
effects). Loctite and Devcon are two common brands.

I've worked with a number of these two-part epoxy putty
sticks. I've found the Loctite Weld Stik (14600-R) to
be too hard to work, and it sets *very* hard, so it's
difficult to sand or carve when set. The one I use a
lot is Devcon White Epoxy Putty (S-80), which is a
green-and-white stick. It's a 10-minute putty that's
relatively soft when blending (though harder than
Kneadatite). When set, it's much harder than Kneadatite,
but not too hard to carve/file/sand. I use it for
mini assembly and for applications similar to yours.

Kneadatite (sold by Citadel Miniatures, among others)
is very sticky until it sets, then is soft enough to
carve, It's good for sculpting, where you can rough-shape
a model, wait till it sets, and fine-carve it after it
sets. It's *not* good for assembly of miniatures, except
for small parts like attaching arms--and for that I
usually use CA gel (like gap-filling superglue).

- Sam
Samuel Reynolds
Full Thrust at Spinward Stars: http://www.spinwardstars.com/ft/
Armageddon Outfitter: http://www.primenet.com/~reynol/gaming/war/ao/
Reynolds Virtual Workshop: http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com, samuel_reynolds@csgsystems.com

Prev: Re: Medtech a la Los Next: RE: FT AAR - Operation Furious Riposte - 20,000 pt battle