Prev: Re: Nanotech will solve everything... Next: Far Stars Union--web site for FT

Re: FT AAR - Operation Furious Riposte - 20,000 pt battle

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 22:32:01 +0100
Subject: Re: FT AAR - Operation Furious Riposte - 20,000 pt battle

Schoon wrote:

> >Nice report :-) It did confirm my opinion about the Schoon/Dean KV
> >rules, though :-(
>
> Depends. Which version of the RG rules were used (there are a few out
> there)?

The ones linkes from Indy's page; RG masses 2, 3 and 5 for classes 1, 2
and 3 respectively. Good balance between all RGs of classes 2 and
higher; the RG1 is 2-arc to compensate for its lower damage/Mass ratio.
However, at a cost of 4*Mass they're a bit too cheap compared to Pulse
torps in particular (P-torps have the same to-hit numbers and similar
damage effects on armour and screens, but have a considerably lower
damage/Mass ratio); 5*Mass should be OK.

> My personal opinion differed with the accepted set of rules in the
level at
> which 2x damage was applied with RGs. I had wanted the threshold to
> be higher (less chance of 2x damage).
>
> For those who may hae missed it, I'll include the rules I
preferred...

> Railguns
>
> Railguns roll a number of dice equal to the class of the weapon.
>
> The dice are scored in the same manner as Pulse Torpedoes:
> Range 0-6" - 2+ hits
> Range 6-12" - 3+ hits
> Range 12-18 - 4+ hits
> Range 18-24 - 5+ hits
> Range 24-30 - 6 hits
>
> For each hit, a second die is rolled, the railgun's class is added to
the
> roll, and the target's armor level (Kra'Vak type, not human) is
subtracted.
> 1-5 - 1 x Railgun Class damage
> 6+ - 2 x Railgun Class damage
>
> Class 1 Railgun (2-arc fire) - 1 MASS
> Class 2 Railgun (1-arc fire) - 3 MASS
> Class 3 Railgun (1-arc fire) - 6 MASS
> POINT COST = 5 per MASS

Apart from the weapon Masses and costs, this is identical to the
version I've seen. However, these Mass values make the Class-1 railgun
considerably better than the others (approx. 30% higher average damage
per Mass than the RG2 *and* two arcs instead of 1), and makes the
Class-3 RG inflict less damage per Mass than the Class-2 against all
levels of KV armour (one RG3 inflicts on average about 85% the damage
of two RG2s).

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Nanotech will solve everything... Next: Far Stars Union--web site for FT