Prev: Re: [FT] Jump limits Next: Re: [FT] Jump limits

Re: [FT] Jump limits

From: "The next time you ask me a hypothetical question, the answer is 'no'" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:14:52 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Jump limits

>>I've written a solar system generator that generates a lot of star
>details.
>>One of which is mass. From looking at the code I wrote it seems that
>mass is
>>only affected by luminosity.
>
>Well, the other way around, and not entirely--luminosity depends on
>temperature, temperature depends on mass and chemical composition.
>For Main Sequence stars, if my memory is right, Luminosity is
>proportional to Mass^3.8, approximately and leaving out a couple of
>factors.

The best way to visualize things is to dig up a Hertzsprung-Russell
Diagram. Most astronomy textbooks will have this, and there are a
few sources on the web (although what I've found so far doesn't give
a lot of detail; I ought to generate one myself for my research group)

Mk
-
  /@		       .  .	      If you insist on reaching for a
  <|\			  .  )	      star, be prepared to take a long,
   |		     /\ 	      hard fall.
   |		    //
   /		 o //*		      Indy - climber, astronomer,
adventurer
  /		<%- /|\ 	      supreme. Have rope, will travel.

Prev: Re: [FT] Jump limits Next: Re: [FT] Jump limits