Prev: [FT] ANNOUNCE FT Computer Core Updated Next: OT: Fighting Wings (Was: Air Superiority)

Re: Snipers, Mr. Sarno!

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 07:33:04 -0500
Subject: Re: Snipers, Mr. Sarno!

Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay wrote:

> =============================
> On to Mr. Sarno
> =============================
> From: Michael Sarno <msarno@ptdprolog.net>
> Subject: Re: Snipers, Mr. Sarno!
>
> Tom,
>	  I thought we were on a first name basis. <g>
>
> ** Mike, did you check the last turn of our PBEM? We might not be on a
> first name basis after that.... :) <g>

    Another turn like that, and I won't be on a first name basis with
anyone! <g>

> ** the difference for a laser between 1120 meters and 1 meter is in
> terms of microseconds... I don't think that'd matter too much.

    I'm not sure about that.  You'd be able to get a better idea of the
direction from which
the beam is originating.  The fact that the sniper is revealed on a roll
of a '1' represents
more than just the ability of the squad under fire to see the muzzle
flash.	It represents
all the assets, both on- and off-table, to locate the sniper.  The fact
that the beam is
originiating from 1120 meters away from it's target, means that more
people are going to be
able to see it, hence, more people will be making the attempt to find
the sniper.

> which might make it easier to track.	There is also a longer time
> between
> when the round or beam hits and when the sound arrives.  This may give
> some advantage in determining the direction of the sniper.
>
> ** From experience, I can say knowing that someone is sniping at you
is
> NOT the same as knowing where from.... even in paintball ....

    Well paintballs are not supersonic, you hear the shot being fired
and then see and/or
hear the shot hit.  I'm guessing that the Conventional Sniping Rifle on
p.27 fires
supersonic rounds.  So you'd see/hear the round hit, dive for cover, and
then you'd hear the
shot being fired.  I'd have to agree that knowing is not the same as
knowing where, but
that's why it only happens on a '1' on the quality die.
    We got into this discussion because of my suggestion to open shift
the firepower and
then quality dice for small arms fire.	So the increased chance of
locating sniper only
kicks in at extreme ranges.  Again, I'm not convinced this is a
realistic effect (It was a
side effect of the open shift.) but it seems plausible enough and it is
certainly a fun game
effect.

> ** Well, in my NSL platoon, I had plans to attach real sniper teams at
> the company level (part of the scout/sniper platoon). In my FSE, I was
> planning to say that the la Legion Etrange Colonial used one per ten
man
> section. So probably 3 in platoon. But it would vary (as real sniping
> does) from commander to commander - some wouldn't want the logistics
and
> expense in keeping up a separate weapon, others would just not like it
> or find it effective, while others might gladly seek 3 marksmen per
> platoon. 1 is a conservative number and quite useful. 3 makes for an
> interesting variant of the game... and you find that it makes units
> effective at much longer ranges.

    Thanks for the details.  I'm going to incorporate this into some of
my TOEs.

> ========================
> Someone mentioned good troops reacting faster to a sniper. Well,
that's
> true. Here's how that works in a game. They get suppressed just like
> everyone else. But they remove suppresion easier (bigger Q die to
remove
> sup). They then spot on this bigger Q die. Then they fire on a more
> effective set of dice. So they already have an enhanced response built
> into the system.

    Agreed.  The quality die covers a multitude of variables.  In
addition, troops with
better leaders will motivate them to get moving more quickly.  I just
don't see any need to
modify the system in this particular area.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"No nation should put the burden of war
 on its military forces alone."
 -General William C. Westmoreland,
		  US Army, retired

Prev: [FT] ANNOUNCE FT Computer Core Updated Next: OT: Fighting Wings (Was: Air Superiority)