Prev: Re: [FH] Great Powers Next: Re: [FH] Great Powers

Re: Safe Speeds [FT]

From: RWHofrich@a...
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:31:29 EST
Subject: Re: Safe Speeds [FT]

In a message dated 12/13/99 12:32:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca writes:

> So the maximum safe speed (by my def'n) would be the squareroot of
>  (twice your sensor horizon multiplied by your thrust rating).
>
>  So, let's plug in some numbers I vaguely recall, but might not be
>  right. I seem to recall seeing sensor ranges of 54" and 72". And
>  thrusts are typically 2/4/6.
>
>  So, if we assume 54"
>  Th-2 Vmaxsafe = 14
>  Th-4 Vmaxsafe = 20
>  Th-6 Vmaxsafe = 25
>
>  If we assume 72"
>  Th-2 Vmaxsafe = 16
>  Th-4 Vmaxsafe = 24
>  Th-6 Vmaxsafe = 41
>
>  Hmmm. We begin to get an appreciation for high thrust, superior
sensor
>  vessels.
>  We also get some idea what ludicrious speeds might be given the level
>  of sensor technology present.
>
>  Last point: I picked my definition for max safe speed. It isn't
>  entirely correct: many times you could dodge an object without
needing
>  to stop, so you could go faster. Conversely, an object with its own
>  velocity cuts your reaction time dramatically. So my value was a
>  compromise. And it makes good sensors something you really want as a
>  tech advantage as it lets you cook along faster... with far less risk
>  to your crew. And less chance of a flogging.
>
>  Of course, that's just my opinion. Other views are welcome.

Actually, since planet-sized objects are the only one's you'd have to
"stop"
for, the sensor range that you use for your initial assumption is VERY
suspect.  As for dodging, even against something with a velocity vector
toward you, please remember that even if two vessels come within 1 MU of
each
other they don't hit unless one is trying to ram (and maybe not even
then).
I'd say that maximum "safe" speed is much greater than that shown.

On the other hand, it is refereshing to see someone trying to work this
stuff
out by using factors other than the assumed maximum thrust capabilities
of
the engines (I used to have to do these kind of equations all the time,
but
factor in reaction time and the like--I'm in highway design and safety).

Rob

Prev: Re: [FH] Great Powers Next: Re: [FH] Great Powers