Prev: RE: [DS] Daleks (x-list) Next: Re: SMLs/The GZG Digest V1 #608

Defense drones was (The GZG Digest V1 #608)

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 08:58:24 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Defense drones was (The GZG Digest V1 #608)

On 10-Dec-99 at 21:36, Tom Anderson (thomas.anderson@univ.ox.ac.uk)
wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Roger Books wrote:
>
> > On	9-Dec-99 at 18:47, Tom Anderson (thomas.anderson@univ.ox.ac.uk)
> > wrote:
> >
> > > the ultimate banzai jammer is mass 3: 1 hull, 1 engine
> > > (thrust 8) and 1 FTL motor. 9 points in total.
> >
> > No, the ultimate banzai jammer is mass 2:  1 hull, 1 engine (thrust
14)
> > no ftl, it is towed.  1 mass of towing drive can carry 3 of these
pups.

> you still have to pay for a tender for these, so i can't see there
will be
> much of a saving. plus, you then have to worry about protecting the
> tender.

I do? :)  I give up a single PDS on my big guys, give them one more FTL
mass, and they tow their own defense drones.  (actually I give up an
armour box since I work under the weak hull extra to armour idea)

> it may also be worth bumping the mass up and loading a PDS; that way,
if
> it's hit by a small salvo, it has a chance of surviving.

One PDS versus a SM?  Nope, my big guys (cruiser and larger) all have
ADFC's.  If the drone is the only thing taking hits my PDS net kicks in
to defend it, otherwise.

That PDS on the drone is going to save it from a Salvo Missile 13.3%
of the time and raises the cost significantly.

Roger

Prev: RE: [DS] Daleks (x-list) Next: Re: SMLs/The GZG Digest V1 #608