Prev: [FT] ANNOUNCE new NSL ship pictures Next: Defense drones was (The GZG Digest V1 #608)

RE: [DS] Daleks (x-list)

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 08:22:17 -0500
Subject: RE: [DS] Daleks (x-list)

Greetings and welcome back Beth!

Daleks are tough to categorize. They are supposed to have conquered much
of
known space. However, The Good Doctor seems to have defeated them every
time.

Ace's explosives seem effective (granted she is from the future, but not
as
far in the future as the Daleks). However, these were always placed
directly
on or inside a Dalek.

Also, they seem to have great trouble when in close assault. I remember
several times when they were confused by throwing a blanket, coat or
some-such over their optic (?) sensor. You may want to increase the
damage
at range, but penalize them when close-assaulted.

The main advantages of the Daleks as I remember were:
  1. Impervious to conventional (20th c.) small, and medium arms. (I
remember a Dalek surviving a bazooka hit).
  2. Usually attacks less advanced worlds.
  3. Great strategist (unless attacking an opponent with equal computing
power...this results in a stale-mate).
  4. Large space assets.
  5. Numbers? While you never see more than a dozen at one time on the
show,
these are almost always advanced scouting or raiding parties. If they
control a large part of the galaxy, they must be numerous. Also, they do
not
seem to mind, loosing Daleks to 'the cause'.
  6. Advanced/Heavy weapons for Infantry. Even a standard Dalek has a
beam
weapon that is effective against armor. IIRC, the only use of the Heavy
Weapon Dalek was going to be used against the TARDIS (a mighty feat
indeed!).
  7. Single-mindedness. Once they have a goal, it is very difficult to
divert them from that goal.

I would make a squad of Daleks small (4-5?).  In stead of an IVAR
attack, I
would give each one a size one HEL and allow a squad to combine fire for
an
attack (if there are 4 elements left in the squad, treat as size 4 HEL,
if
there are only 2 left, treat as size 2). I agree with the 30" range for
the
Dalek carried HEL as it is closer to the ground, the horizon is much
closer.
However, if it is on a hill, I would give it the full 60".

Daleks have an irrational fear on one individual. They will attack
anyone in
a big floppy had and long scarf before all others. :-)

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://membes.xoom.com/rlyehable/ds2/
-----

Water,
> Poor in Rivers and Difficult in Swamps, all other terrain types are
> impassable.
>
> Hoverbouts (individual grav sleds): Cost +40 per team and give the
unit
> the
> same mobility as a VTOL.
>
> Suicide Daleks: As their action for the turn a unit of suicide Daleks
may
> detonate themselves. The player must declare that this is occurring
and
> then anything within a 2" blast radius (measured from the centre of
the
> squad) is said to be affected. Infantry elements take damage as if
under
> HEF artillery attack, while vehicles take damage as per direct fire
> attacks, with RED/YELLOW chits being valid as are any "special" damage
> chits. 4 chits are drawn regardless of whether the target element is
> infantry or a vehicle.
>
> Pyro-Daleks: Cost +50 per team. As their action for the turn the unit
may
> set fire to a building/vegetation/other flammable materials, to do
this
> place a fire/smoke marker up to 1" from the unit - 2" of smoke extends
> downwind from that point. On each subsequent turn, unless extinguished
by
> weather or engineering teams, the smoke from the fire increases by 2"
(up
> to a maximum of 6").
> These weapons may also be used to fire at infantry and vehicles,
though
> they have little real effect against the latter. If attempting ranged
fire
> the range is 3" and they pull 2 chits and the damage validities are:
> Target Element			Chit Validity
> Normal Infantry			RED and YELLOW
> Power Armour				RED chits only
> Vehicles					"special" damage chits
only
> When these weapons are involved in close assault, they draw 4 chits
and
> use
> the damage validities as per infantry close assault:
> Target Element Cover			Chit Validity
> OPEN						RED, YELLOW and GREEN
> SOFT COVER					RED and YELLOW
> DUG IN or URBAN AREA		RED chits only
>
> APSWs: Daleks do not use the same kind of APSWs as humans rather they
use
> smaller version of their main vehicle weapons DFFGs and HELs, these
have
> the following breakdowns:
> APSW Type		Cost	Capacity	Range		# Chits
> DFFG				8	       1