Prev: RE: Beth's Emines & HBWs Next: SG2 lite

RE: [OFFICIAL] MORE NEW SHIPS.... (Class Names)

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:59:10 -0500
Subject: RE: [OFFICIAL] MORE NEW SHIPS.... (Class Names)

replies below

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----

[Bri] Sounds good.

> > > FT-1103	UNSC Battle Corvette
> >  Tributary class (smaller rivers)
> > > FT-1104	Patrol Cutters (Frigate-sized)
> >  Parry/Savanna class
>
> Is that meant to be prairie?

[Bri] Yea. That's what happens when you hit the OK on the spell check
too
quickly. :-\

[snip]
> >  Desert/Forest class (Simpson, Wayne, etc.)
>
> Better stick to deserts, I'm sure there will be a lot more deserts
> than forests left by 2180...

[Bri] (Environmental comment withheld)

[snip]
> > > FT-1111	UNSC Battledreadnought (BDN)
> >  Comet class
>
> Including asteroids? In many cases the mythological names of the
> asteroids will give much better sounding names than the astronomer
> names of the comets. And many comets are rather short lived.

[Bri] Also works.

[snip]
> >  Galaxy class (Milky Way, etc.)
>
> UNS Milky Way? Oh dear... And after UNS Andromeda the names would be
> less than inspiring.
>
> Remember that the Gaia and Sol class and named after
> Continents/Oceans and Planets, not Planets and Stars (see quote
> below). So I'd name the CVLs after stars and the CVHs after
> Constellations.

[Bri] I thought that the Sol class was named after stars. Sol, Alpha
Centuri, Betelgeuse.

> -------
> UNSC Superdreadnought (SDN) - Gaia class
> (Named for continents and other major features/areas on Earth - UNS
> Pacifica, UNS Atlantis, UNS Africa etc)

[Bri] I thought that the Gaia class was named after planets. Earth,
Mars...

> FT-1112A	UNSC Extended-Range Superdreadnought (SDN-X) - Sol class
> (Named for planets within Sol system - UNS Mars, UNS Terra, UNS
Neptune
> etc.)

[Bri] As stated before, I thought that these were named for stars.
> -------
>
> > > FT-1115	UNSC Deeprange Explorer
> >  Author class (Niven, McCaffey...)
>
> I'd keep the SF authors as the old Clarke class survey cruisers
> (presumably built before the UNSC had it's shipbuilding programme up
> and running). To keep the theme going these could be winners of the
> Nobel prize for literature.
>
> > > FT-1116	UNSC Fleet Replenishment Tender
> >   Atlantian class (ocean floor features)
>
> Winners of the Nobel prize for economics?

[Bri] I had thought about this also. Its a good idea.