Prev: RE: combat 'droids Next: Re: DSII for the 2020s

RE: GEVs

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 13:53:15 -0500
Subject: RE: GEVs

I understood what you meant (even if I did a poor job of describing it).

It is the same principal of design used in making ships. In designing a
ship, you need to make sure that the hull will generate enough pressure
on
the water to equal or exceed the mass of the ship (and in doing so, it
will
displace a mass of water equal to the mass of the ship).

I do not know how much mass a given surface of water can support. But it
wold be the same for ships as GEV's (except that all ships are partially
sunken).

Take a ship of 10 tons. Mark the waterline on the hull of the ship while
it
is at rest. Compute the suface area of the marked area of hull. This is
the
minimum area that a GEV, of 10 tons (minus the mass of the air in the
skirt)
would need to cover to float on the air trapped in the skirt alone. Now
as
you add pressure within the skirt and start to move air through the
skit,
the craft will begin to hover (the air escaping out the bottom of the
skirt
effectivly also adds to the surface area being used by the GEV to stay
afloat/hover. You can now reduce the size of the skirt as long as you
maintain the same volume of air passing through the skirts. Although it
may
be a good idea to keep a larger surface area incase your engines are
hit.

To take your example and add the output of a Saturn V rocket engine
through
the skirts, you can now hover your 80 ton block (but you better have
good
gyros to keep it from tilting).

-----
Brian Bell