Prev: Re: Star keeper/assigner Next: RE: Stealth & Names

Stealth & Names

From: CGS <michael@c...>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:33:46 +0000
Subject: Stealth & Names

I do not recall where I read this but it was in a serious, reliable
work.
In the Gulf War one of the older British radars on one of the ships in
the gulf was able to pick up the F-117s as they went out. There were
more details given but this I do remember.

My favourite stealth story is the engineer telling the journalist to
look at the model kit of a hyperthetical Russian plane if he wanted to
know what the F-117 looked like. The Skunk Works must have wet
themselves the first time they saw that kit, but it shows that the
designer really knew his stuff.

Another thing that amuses me about the Americans is the names they give
operations (admitedly probably for political or PR reasons). The US had
'Operation Desert Storm', we had 'Operation Granby', the Falklands was
'Operation Corporate', would the US have had 'Operation Kick S**t out of
the Argies'?
The American names do seem a bit childish sometimes, it most be the
politicos.

OK, rant over.

Michael

Prev: Re: Star keeper/assigner Next: RE: Stealth & Names