Prev: Re: [SG2] DESPERATE: Seeking 20mm Miniatures from UK Next: re: GEV and Grav Vehicles

Re: SG2/DS2 artillery/CBR/Designators

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 18:18:48 +0100
Subject: Re: SG2/DS2 artillery/CBR/Designators

Brian Bell wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> On future and present day battlefields, how long does Counter-Battery

> Radar (CBR) last? It would seem that as soon as the radar is switched

> on there would be a shell, rocket, or missile in the air to remove
it.

Very good question, that one. I'm particularly intrigued by how passive
CB detectors are supposed to work - ie, those that don't turn the radar
on before they've already detected enemy rounds :-/

Of course, your own CBRs are priority units to protect with area
defence units :-/

> Along the same lines, seeing the trend toward smart or guided
> munitions/missiles, I could easily see a counter-designating weapon.
> That is a weapon system similar to PDS that detects target
designating > lasers and send fire back to its point of origin.

> This could have a marked effect on the future battlefield.

Laser designation is rather uncommon in the smart ammunition programs I
know of, just because of their need of someone to paint the target.
Laser warners are already in use, so HARM-ish weapons homing on enemy
lasers shouldn't be too far off.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [SG2] DESPERATE: Seeking 20mm Miniatures from UK Next: re: GEV and Grav Vehicles