Prev: Re: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!] Next: Re: [SG2] DESPERATE: Seeking 20mm Miniatures from UK

Re: [SG2] DESPERATE: Seeking 20mm Miniatures from UK

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:15:28 +0000
Subject: Re: [SG2] DESPERATE: Seeking 20mm Miniatures from UK

>>Hi again,
>>    I have stumbled onto something that I hope anyone in the UK may be
able
>>to help me with.  I am looking for a range of Sci-Fi figures from
Blade
>>Miniatures (101 Church St., Atworth, Melksham, Whitshire, SN12 8JA).
They
>>had a line of 20mm figures that were being sold around 1995 or so.
They
>>have since gone under, and I would like to find:
>>
>>1) The owner of the molds (either to purchase them, or for a small run
of
>>the line)
>>2) Anyone who may have some of these figures for sale/trade what have
you.
>>3) Any way to get their items whatsoever.
>>4) E-mail or phone number for Michael Percy of SHQ
>>5) E-mail or phone number for Nick Rees (I am guessing that he is the
>>original owner of Blade???)
>
>I picked up one pack from a clearance bin last year
>(12 infantry), and I'd like to get hold of a few more.
>The package I have says it was Imported by Brookhurst Hobbies,
>Garden Grove, CA, 714-636-3580.
>
>>The sci-fi line was absolutely beautiful work (namely Michael Percy of
SHQ
>>had done the sculpting), and Nick Rees did the vehicles.
>
>I haven't seen the vehicles, but I agree based on the figs I have.
>They're generic SF, sort of Starship Troopers with a reality check,
>nicely detailed and proportioned, with a lot of poses (I think
>9 poses out of 12 figs in the pack I have).
>
>>I could use any
>>form of communication or information regarding the whereabouts of the
Blade
>>molds, masters, old inventory, used items, former owners, business
>>information, etc.
>>
>>It seems that mail delivered to the Church Street address is accepted,
but
>>there is never a reply or returned mail - so I can only assume that
this
>>location is a residence of some sort.  If someone can help identify
who or
>>what is at this address, I would be greatly appreciative.
>>
>>Please - if anyone on the list can help, please do!  If I can purchase
the
>>molds, I will be _VERY_ happy and able to recreate a fantastic line of
>>figures from a dead company.
>
>If you do, I'll buy a bunch (only 1 or 2 armies' worth, though).
>Unfortunately, the market seems to have shifted toward larger
>scales in recent years.
>
>>Thank you for your time
>
>- Sam

Unfortunately I have no idea what has happened to the Blade moulds,
though
they were being offered for sale in a small ad in the back of (IIRC)
Wargames Illustrated a couple of years ago. There has certainly been no
more mention of them on the UK market, so I assume they weere either
never
sold and Nick Rees still has them, or they were sold but the new owner
has
not yet done anything with them.
They were, as you say, a very nice line of minis - an attempt to capture
cross-over market with "moderns" gamers who mostly use 20mm, hence their
rather near-future styling; however the strategy didn't work, and
despite
their good quality they just didn't take off.
If I can find out anyhting I'll let the list know.

Jon (GZG)