Prev: Re: DS2/SG2 artillery/ortillery Next: Re: SG2/DS2 artillery

Re: DS2/SG2 artillery/ortillery

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:51:24 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: DS2/SG2 artillery/ortillery

On 29-Nov-99 at 14:48, Oerjan Ohlson (oerjan.ohlson@telia.com) wrote:
> Bell, Brian K wrote:
>
> > This assumes that you are using shells for Ortillery. If you are
> using very
> > large energy/particle weapons for the Ortillery system, the transit
> time is
> > VERY short. Yes, you still need to deal with variations in the
> atmosphere
> > (clouds, thermal levels, etc.), but that is why the Ortillery system
> is so
> > massive
>
> The atmosphere isn't all that kind to particle beams, though. Lasers
> are better, but you're still looking at fairly massive power losses on
> the way down.

After the egg on my face about atmosphere height I'm hesistant to
post, however...

Aren't some of the newer sattelites using wavelengths to which the
atmosphere is transparent?  Maybe Ortillery is a beam weapon optimized
to penetrate atmosphere instead of reaching out and touching spacecraft.

Roger

Prev: Re: DS2/SG2 artillery/ortillery Next: Re: SG2/DS2 artillery