Prev: RE: Gen Con - a Canadian thought Next: Re: Gen Con - a Canadian thought

Re: GZG @ historical cons (was: RE: Another T-shirt Idea)

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 19:40:54 -0500
Subject: Re: GZG @ historical cons (was: RE: Another T-shirt Idea)

John C wrote:

> Officially, HMGS allows non-historical games.  However, they do so
only
> grudgingly.  The feeling is that the Fantasy and SF people already
have
> plenty of their own conventions, so why should HMGS give them the
tables
> that could better be used for proper historical games?
>
> Not everyone feels this way, and the majority of the attendants are
pro-SF
> and fantasy, but the people in charge tend to be different story.

    Well, many of the "people in charge" don't consider it to be an
historical
wargame if it isn't Napoleonics or ACW.  We just laugh at them, though.

>  See, we
> used to run two games at every HMGS con; one SF, one historical.
>
> The Historical games would be well recieved, and get plenty of
players, and
> get lots of praise and pictures in the HMGS newsletter.
>
> The SF games would be well recieved, get plenty of players, and would
get
> sneers and insults in the HMGS newsletter.

    The HMGS newsletter isn't the reason you ran the games, though.  So
what if
the guys who are running newsletter aren't interested in your SF games?

> You will, however, get players for
> almost any game that you do.	And some of them will be quite good
players
> indeed!  Others...well, that's another story.

    That's the point.  There are players out there who would like to
learn some
of these games, but they don't really have the chance.	The big HMGS
cons are
the perfect place for them to get that chance.	Sunday mornings are
typically
full of people looking to play games, but not enough games are
available.  That
would be the perfect time to slip in some GZG event.

-Mike

--
Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"No nation should put the burden of war
 on its military forces alone."
 -General William C. Westmoreland,
		  US Army, retired

Prev: RE: Gen Con - a Canadian thought Next: Re: Gen Con - a Canadian thought