Prev: Re: Brigade's SemFed designs Next: Re: Fighters.... and the effects thereof.

Re: [FT] SMR's

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:53:07 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] SMR's

Laserlight wrote:

> While we're on the "missiles" topic, I've thought up other "loads"
for
> missiles:
>
> Powered Armor Marines
> Instead of a warhead, SMR's may carry a Powered Armor assault team.
> Each PA trooper (and his shell of radar-and-shock-absorbing foam,
plus
> penetration aids) rides a missile.  PDS fire doesn't necessarily kill
> the trooper but it does mean he misses his rendezvous with the target
> ship.

You timed it well. I started looking seriously at Schoon's boarding
combat mechanics yesterday and began adding various "delivery systems"
almost immediately; I've done Teleporters and Longboats/Wormpods so
far, but hadn't gotten around to Theban-style Sleds <g>

However, you may want to scratch the "each PA trooper rides a missile"
PSB blurb. If you use the MT numbers that'd put the maximum BF of such
a salvo at 1.5 with a pretty good chance of not making even 1 BF... and
in other backgrounds - Gothic Thrust, for instance - it'd be even less
impressive :-/

> Penetration Aid
> Each missile in this rack carries spoofers, jammers, radar targets,
> etc, to attract attention from PDS and help the "real" missiles get
> through.  Acts as a Screen-1 for all missiles within 6".

It'd be better to (explicitly) give them the same bonus as Heavy
Fighters, since screens don't normally protect against PDS and C1
batteries don't kill missiles on a roll of "4" anyway. Yes, I know the
Heavy Fighter description calls this effect "level-1 screens", but it
also spells out exactly what is meant.

> Reduce the effective radius by 1" for each missile hit by PDS fire.

It'd have to "attack" one specific ship in order to let PDS shoot at it
under the current rules. Also, I'd rather make it affect "all *targets*
within 6mu" than "all *missiles* within 6 mu", since any enemy ships
further than 6 mu away from the PenAid salvo would automatically count
it as a "miss" and ignore it.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Brigade's SemFed designs Next: Re: Fighters.... and the effects thereof.