Prev: Re: Scale of Stargrunt Next: Re: Underwater questions [ot]

RE: Scale of Stargrunt

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:26:38 -0000
Subject: RE: Scale of Stargrunt

>>What is an Anorak?

Very common british slang for an obsessive/boring person also
know as a train spotter/geek/nerd. Derivation of the term is based on
the Danish
eskimo/inuit name for pullover hooded jacket long enough to cover the
hips The
UK
variant being made of cotton or polyester) which was an unofficial
uniform
amongst such types in the 1970-80's, though rarely seen in the wild
today being
superceeded by gortex jackets and fleeces. The anorak is also
psynonymous with
the parka which is a similar
jacket with Russian derivation, though the modern variant has a zip at
the
front.

so it has two meanings:

you are a 'wargames' anorak (you are a boring obsessive about wargames)
your anoraks brown (you are wearing a brown unfashionable jacket)

I last wore an anorak/parka in 1977 - it was green with a red hood
lining
and had rabbit fur around the collar.

The use in FMA I think ironically uses both meanings, derived from
kubricks film
so it
refers to the coat as a jacket but also gently (mary) poking fun at
wargamer
obsessives who play the FMA game itself

-= tim jones =-

Prev: Re: Scale of Stargrunt Next: Re: Underwater questions [ot]