Prev: Re: Free Orange Republic Ships Next: Re: PBEM engine

Computer PBeM and where it should be taken

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:15:17 -0400
Subject: Computer PBeM and where it should be taken

Colin,

you should probably be hashing out this kind of discussion on the
recently busier GZG computer list.

Someone will have sub info.

ftgzg-computer@wraith.cs.colorado.edu

That's the addr. I can't recall the addr of the server that grants you
memberhsip. I think it is same server, different email addr.
(majordomo@wraith.cs.colorado.edu ?)
usual subject blank
body contains
subscribe ftgzg-computer

I think that's close. Someone will post the real info....

As an aside, I notice no one has suggested rules based resolution?
ie, I submit my orders to fire, and they can include a number of
ranked statements. Each statement can contain a "target id", a
"conditional statement(s)" and a weapon indicator.

For example

target id types:
Nearest Ship
Specific Tag (DD#13, Bogey#12)
Any Enemy

conditionals:
mass > x
mass < x
class = <CA, CL, etc>
range > x
range < x
range = shortest
range = furthest (still in range)
target = enemy (default case)
target = all

weapon indicator
all weapons
all beams
beams F
beams FP
beams FS
all weapons in arc x
all remaining

You could even do this in some sort of XML format, and then gradually
expand the list of tags you handled... you wouldn't have to do them
all at once.

You'd get a ship's firing orders that would consist of:
[DD15_Firing]
Target=DD04
Conditions=RANGE<12
Weapons=ALL_BEAMS
Target=NEAREST
Conditions=
Weapons=REMAINING

Thus the orders processor would evaluate these. It would check if DD04
was under 12", and if so fire all beams that bear at it. Otherwise, it
would move directly to rule #2. It would then target the nearest
vessel (enemy default) and fire any remaining weapons in arc and
range.

Just a thought or two.

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: Free Orange Republic Ships Next: Re: PBEM engine