Prev: Re: Starting from the ground up Next: RE: [FT] PBeM

Re: Starting from the ground up

From: "Eli Arndt" <emu2020@h...>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:29:35 PDT
Subject: Re: Starting from the ground up

>I get the feeling that much of this feeling of the rules don't matter
>come from playing WW games where the rules are just one butt cheek
>because they didn't want to put the effort into finishing them.  I
don't

It would appear that this is a matter of personal style and choice.  You

have missed the point of WW rules.  They are quite finished, but rather
than
stress rules for rules sake, they stress rules for when you absolutely
need
them, not lettin them get i nthe way of a good story.

>run that way, I _may_ fudge one or two die rolls a game.  That is why
>I would like a decent space combat mechanic for an up and coming
Traveller
>game (GURPS variety).	Probably FT crossed with the old FASA ST
>rules modified to fit GURPS.  I want FT kills to be mission kills in
>Traveller so the PC's can survive.  I want little ships to behave like
>cruisers do now.
>
>I don't want "spend a character point, OK, you get a lucky shot and
>the destroyer you are shooting at from your scout blows up, your
>all clear now."

If story is more important to you than the raw logistics of the game,
then
by al lmeans fudge the rolls.

Style of game also plays HUGE part in it.  In anime such as Gundam and
Macross, the fighters/mecha (when yo uget down to it, they are pretty
much
the same accept one has limbs) slash apart the smaller warships and can
do a
number o nthe big boys.  In Star Wars, a run-away ilot takes ou the
biggest
ship of them all, because it worked i nthe story.  In movies like Top
Gun
and Iron Eagle (admitedly both hoaky as heck) the pilots get away with
murder.

It all comes down to how you like to play.

Eli