Prev: Re: Starting from the ground up... Next: [OT] Alternity (was Starting from the ground up...)

Re: Out-of-date designs

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:54:31 +0100
Subject: Re: Out-of-date designs

Alan E and Carmel J Brain wrote:

> > One thing I didn't have time to write (didn't have time to remember
> > write, that is :-/ ) before I went to England was that the simplest
way
> > of simulating obsolete ships is to not use all of the available
weapon
> > Mass.
>
> Actually, the easiest method is to just an obsolete ship of size 100
> (say) has the same capabilities _and cost_ as a modern ship of size
80
> (say). Or even 50 if it's not just obsolescent but obsolete.

If it has the same offensive and defensive capabilities as well as the
same cost as a modern ship of lesser nominal size, it is *identical* to
that modern ship from the viewpoint of the player. It is not obsolete
if it gives you exactly the same bang per buck as a modern design, so
this way of doing it doesn't simulate obsolesence at all IMO.

If you give the ship the same *offensive* abilities as the smaller
modern ship but the *defensive* abilities (ie, the hull strength)
indicated by its "real" size, you've done almost exactly what I
suggested - except that you put the cost of the ship too low, whereas I
tend to make it overpriced if I remove too much of its weaponry.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Starting from the ground up... Next: [OT] Alternity (was Starting from the ground up...)