Prev: Re: RE: [OFFICIAL] NEW STUFF - Pix hosted! Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW STUFF - hosting pix?

Re: UN Ship Names

From: Brian Quirt <baqrt@m...>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:02:45 -0300
Subject: Re: UN Ship Names

Thomas Barclay of the Clan Barclay wrote:

> I believe all those with good recollection will recall an excellent
> discussion on this had a year or two back in the archives. It focused
on
> a very wonderful and fruitful central conception - Earth. It is the
one
> commonality of all races and nations in the GZGverse.
>
> We had ship classes named after rivers, seas, oceans, mountain ranges,
> island chains, continents, lakes, deserts, volcanoes, glaciers,
cities,
> nations, etc. I think there was talk of naming things after Sol system
> bodies too.
>
> The "scale" or "majesty" of the particular sub-scheme determined the
> class of ship.

[snip of assorted class names]

I like this, especially because it also allows for some 'astronomical
humour' in the class names. For example:

> The Lunar Class Company Assault Ship: UNS Luna, UNS Io, UNS Callisto,
> UNS Ganymede (and names of other outsystem moons)

UNS 1989-N1, UNS 1989-N2...(moons of Neptune discovered by Voyager-
there are more of these than there are 'named' moons- or at least were
the last time I checked).

Brian Quirt

Prev: Re: RE: [OFFICIAL] NEW STUFF - Pix hosted! Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW STUFF - hosting pix?