Prev: Re: A question of scale Next: Romans as no-retreaters

Re: A question of scale

From: Thomas Pope <tpope@c...>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:27:24 -0400
Subject: Re: A question of scale

Tony Francis wrote:

> Wel, first you need to decide what scale 25mm is (no, that's NOT an
invite
> to open that discussion again, thank you).

I've got some leeway here, since I'd basically go with whatever fits
with the current GZG range.

> How big is the destroyer ? Around 40mm long ? If we assume that 25mm
is
> 1/65th (no flames please, this is only an example) and our destroyer
is
> 1/3000th scale that scales up to (um, calculator ...) 1.8m-ish. If you
were
> to build your 25mm destroyer at 1/72nd and assume it's 1/2000th scale
that
> works out at only 1.1m.  I see your problem now - a 65% difference
> depending upon choice of scale.

Yep.  Even between 1/2500 and 1/3000 there's probably enough variation
to cause a problem.  Not a serious issue, but I do liek to know how much
space I've got to work with...

> I've come across this problem when trying to build an assault craft in
both
> DS2 and FT sizes.

It's probably too much to hope that this would be _the_ dropship isn't
it?  By the way I never got back to you about the Tech manual
illustrations.	It seems to have some nice 3-views of both the APC and
dropship, as well as measurements.  So, in your infinite free time...
:-)

All 'nudging' aside I'm happy to hear you're working on any kind of
dual-scale vehicle.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the end
result.

> DS2 is easy to pin down, it's 1/300th - no problems there. I wanted to
make
> the FT version about 10mm long (ie large enough to have at least some
> detail on it) but that scales up to 100mm for DS2 (assuming FT =
1/3000th).
> Much bigger than I wanted to be. However, shrink the DS2 one and the
FT
> model becomes too small to see ... and so on. In the end I've decided
that
> the scales can go jump off a cliff and I'll make my FT one 10mm long,
my
> DS2 one about 60mm long and ignore the scale inconsistencies.

I think this sounds like the best idea overall.  Whiel I'd still like to
knwo the 'offical' scale for curiosity sake, I'll probably jsut make the
ship however big it needs to be to fit all the stuff into it.  Another
good reason to start with a scoutship, less stuff.

Tom

--
Thomas Pope
Human Computer Interaction Institute

Prev: Re: A question of scale Next: Romans as no-retreaters