Prev: Re: Where's a listenfuhrer when you need him? Next: RE: Request to Stop Thread - OT You want underreported news...

RE: OT - Military question

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:43:39 +0100
Subject: RE: OT - Military question

>I guess the question was really in relation to modern/sci-fi.
>
>In a lot of places the "Light" and "Heavy" blur.
>
>Really the terms in modern warfare refer to Light Scales and Heavy
Scales
>and really refer to the TO&E capabilities. Light Infantry units will
>generally have less organic heavy weapons support and are unlikely to
have
>organic transport larger than Landrover/HummVee. They are more suited
>Airmodbile Operations, with a Role of Point of Entry Seizure as an
>example. A Mechanised Infantry Battalion is an example of a Heavy
Infantry
>unit with Rangers being Light Infantry.
>
>In modern terms both have the same basic weapons and skill sets.
>
>Don't even think that Light Infantry means that the individual soldier
>carries less if he is 'Light'. Often it is the reverse as the Light
>Infantry unit needs to carry more of it's own kit as it doesn't have
teh
>same logistic tail to rely on!
>
>Cheers, >
>
>Owen G >

Owen's definition is fine for present-day stuff, but in the typical
"combat
SF" background (ours and many others), with a resurgence of effective
personal body armour (powered and unpowered) I think Light infantry
should
refer to largely unarmoured troops (SG partial armour at maximum) while
Heavy are the guys in full-body combat suits up to actual PA. Most of
the
roles that Owen mentions will still hold true - the LI are more likely
act as "leg" troops, scouts, recon etc. while the HI (unpowered) boys
ride
around in APCs to do the nasty assault work.

Jon (GZG)