Prev: Re: Treaties. Next: Where's a listenfuhrer when you need him?

Re: DSII: Artillery

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:54:27 +1300
Subject: Re: DSII: Artillery

Steven M Goode wrote:
> Also: how much artillery do people typically use, in terms of number
of vehicles relative to the number of other troops on the table, on
board or off, heavy, medium, or light, HEF or MAK, etc.?

I like extraheavy artillery batteries, off-table in groups of nine. And
yes, I am being serious! ^_^ The impact area covered any position of
the elements in my opponent's units. In the same game, though, my
esteemed opponent used artillery in single elements, but firing nukes!
I could handle one nuke, but two!
	I also like Ortillery, using the Pournelle DS-FT "Rosetta Stone"
conversion. I'm thinking that a battery of seven (7) Ortillery on a
large FT ship could be an interesting addition to the DS tabletop.

Very roughly, artillery should be about a quarter of the number of
vehicles or points, I feel.

I'm still tossing over the merits of smaller numbers of elements in
units and smaller artillery sizes, like extra-light, light, medium and
heavy. There's value in the smaller artillery sizes, in
suppressing/killing smaller/lighter units.

As for HEF and MAK, I use MAK for the heavy artillery, HEF for the
light artillery. Dropping mines by artillery can be useful, and having
a single artillery element firing a nuke (or two) is very effective.
Firing GMS from artillery is handy, and helps make medium artillery
(M109 equivalent) more useful.

Andrew Martin
Artillery mad...
Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Online @ 33,600 Baud!
-><-

Prev: Re: Treaties. Next: Where's a listenfuhrer when you need him?