Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #507 Next: Re: IF Fleet

RE: [FT] - Islamic Ship Class Names

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:30:59 +0100
Subject: RE: [FT] - Islamic Ship Class Names

>Is the first ship built the name of the class?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Even individual navies (real world) are not
consistent - eg: one class of the Royal Navy's	DDs are all named after
weapons, and generally called Broadsword class (after first ship in
class)
rather than "weapon" class; same goes for the older Leander class ships.
However there are also the old	DDs like HMS Norfolk, Devonshire etc.
which
are always known as "County" class, and I think the same goes for the
(WWII?) "Battle" class DDs......
Thus RL precendents apply for either naming after a first ship of class,
or
having an overall class name that doesn't actually appear on any one
ship.

Jon (GZG)