Prev: RE: Sa'Vasku for the Fleet Book Next: RE: OT You want underreported news...*** Request to stop thread * **

IF Fleet

From: "Chip Dunning" <edunning@s...>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:35:05 -0400
Subject: IF Fleet

I would guess (just based off the FT/MT/FB and SG2 books) that the IF is
much like the LLAR in that they have their own territory, however small,
but
primarly make their wealth by farming themselves out as mercenaries.
Also,
if we want to build a similar structure to current activities then there
will be several groups that have small strike ships (raiders) that they
gained by their religious influence over the leaders (these same groups
would have a ragtag fleet from several sources).

For the SuperNational space fleet.....

I would base them off an attrition model for fighters. Every one of
their
ships carry at least one group of fighters. They have no true carriers -
instead every ship is expected to fight in the line and carry some
fighters
as well. Think Hydran from SFB in that they are all partial carriers - a
full fleet would have less direct firepower than most fleets, but able
fields a good deal of fighters. Plus the loss of any one unit means that
enough other units can spread the surviving fighters so that none are
lost
for want of space.
    For direct firepower I would give them Beams - with maybe a
specialty
unit with a torp in the nose. On the defense I would go for Armor - with
no
units having screens. They should have armed/armored troopships so they
can
transport their own units to the planet in question. Their only other
specialty ship would probably be an ortillary unit for suppressing the
natives.
    This gives them some unique flavor and yet they can still stand in
the
line - especially on the defense since they will be close to their own
lines
of supply (for replacing those fighters).

Just some thoughts....

Chip
-----
Programming: It's not just a job - it's an indenture

Prev: RE: Sa'Vasku for the Fleet Book Next: RE: OT You want underreported news...*** Request to stop thread * **