Prev: RE: OT You want underreported news... Next: IF Fleet

RE: Sa'Vasku for the Fleet Book

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:21:28 -0400
Subject: RE: Sa'Vasku for the Fleet Book

	From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@Smallworld.co.uk>

	Fat just seems too terrestial a concept
	my SV are more bio-mech *alien*

I partially agree. "Fat" is the terrestriocentric term I'm using for
biological energy storage. I don't have enough knowledge to create the
proper PBB (Psedo-Biological B..) terminology. A better word would be...
better. :-). I haven't forgotten Tom Anderson's 'Molecular Biology of
the
Sa'Vasku'. I like that template alot. He had the SV as slow growing and
long
lived - something that might not work well in the high attrition
GZGverse
unless there was a large population, or growth/reproduction rate could
be
increased at a time of species-wide stress. Depending on exactly _where_
the
SV are in the GZG-verse it could be that they are just that slow and
just
that populous, and we've just hit the edge of their space. Best not to
piss
them off (but don't tell that to the KV).

	From: Andrew Apter <andya@speechsolutions.com>

	>>How about a simpler system use the fat as armor.
	>>Bioenergy reserves are stored externaly and oblate if hit by
fire.
	>That would be different than BioArmor, then?

	No the fat is the only armor
	A full damage row would look like this:
	FFFFF XXXXX P ( F=Fatty armor, X=body, P=Power factor) if had a
full
load of fat

Is that going back to Imre's original 20 mass module. (~70-80 points) or
larger? The original had 2 armor, 4 body, one PF(d6) per 20 mass. Also
have
to be careful about move cost.	Your modules would have to burn fat if
they
wanted to go better than thrust 3, or better than thrust 2 and do
anything
else.

	Fat bodies would require two units of power to create and yeald
one
unit of power when consumed

There's precious little energy to grow more fat in most scenario time
scales.

	The roll would be one die 6  for two rows of fat (rounded
upward).

I'm not sure what roll you're referring to here.

It looks like we might have two different genetic trees growing here.
You
like larger modules with integrated energy storage and armor. I like the
smaller modules with seperate and layered armor, structure, storage, and
power elements. I think my system is somewhat more 'organic' (esp if you
include the repair/regrowth system)., though they are poth probably
workable.

Noam

Prev: RE: OT You want underreported news... Next: IF Fleet