Prev: RE: InterFET Next: Re: Recent SIMTAC experience

Re: [OFFICIAL] New Stuff from GZG!

From: Tony Francis <tony@g...>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 09:30:56 +0100
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] New Stuff from GZG!

Ryan M Gill wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Laserlight wrote:
>
> > >I suggest "The Koran" and "Wrath of Allah" as names for two
> > of the bigger
> > >classes.  Koran-class Battleship has a nice ring to it...
> >

> > I'd be really careful about that one
>
> Perhaps folks are overreacting. I'd take a look at andrew toppan's
navy
> page and see what the Saudi's and Iranians have for naval
nomenclature.
> Same goes for the Egyptians. Is Turkey part of the IF?

I think we have to tread carefully around the religious aspect here. I
can
claim a bit more personal experience than most as well, since my wife
and
in-laws are all Moslems (she was born in Britain, her parents immigrated
from the Kashmir). They are very liberal and open-minded about most
things
(like letting their daughter marry an Englishman), but I think I would
have
a fair deal of trouble explaining that I was playing a game that took
their
holy book in vain. Using the name of the Koran or the Prophets would, in
my
opinion, severely hinder St^3 Jon's expansion of his global business
empire
into the Middle East ;-)

A further thought is that the IF would be unlikely to name a ship after
the
Koran anyway - what if it was destroyed ? Try explaining that to the
faithful masses (analogous to Hitler renaming the 'Deutschland' during
WWII
because he didn't want the ship carrying the name of the Fatherland to
be
sunk).

Tony

Tony

Prev: RE: InterFET Next: Re: Recent SIMTAC experience