Prev: IF ship names Next: Re: Identifing figs Re: [OT] Aliens Miniatures

Re: [OT] Astronomical Inquiry

From: "The thing is, we're not that good. It's just that everybody else sucks. (a Navy SEALs quote)" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:29:27 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Astronomical Inquiry

Hi, Beth!

>This is going to sound weird, but I just happened to wonder how
different
>the constellations would be on Mars? I don't just mean exact positions
in
>teh sky etc, but the actual shapes. The stars are so far away, so is
the
>distance between Eath and Mars going to matter heaps?

Ohhhh, man, now you want me to go dig up my lab in order to demonstrate
for you just how far away things are in space.	;-)

Simple answer: no difference between what you see on Earth - and what
you would see on any of the planets in the solar system. The stars are
just too damned far away for there to be ANY noticeable difference in
the small, dinky, compact area that is Our Solar System(tm).

I'll dig up the info later if anyone is truly interested in doing for
themselves measurements to demonstrate distances between the planets
and stars.

Mk
-
This verbose, long, drawn-out mail message has been brought to you by:

  TING! The lunch drink that did *not* go up with the astronuats in the
  1960s and 70s.

Prev: IF ship names Next: Re: Identifing figs Re: [OT] Aliens Miniatures