Prev: [somewhat OT] Status of the Space Interferometer Mission (SIM) Next: Re: Transport capacities

Re: Super Carrier (was: Transport capacities)

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 14:23:58 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Super Carrier (was: Transport capacities)

On  8-Oct-99 at 13:47, Chip Dunning (edunning@spectra-research.com)
wrote:
> > I was thinking that a tierd affect would work for the launch decks.
If I
> > did two ark Royals, I'd definately do one Broomstick on it. Though a
> > second smaller cruiser sized broom stick on the other side would be
> > real idea (smaller aux bridge, used for aircraft control and
launching).
> > I've got one on my Arc Royal instead of the weapons battery spatula.
>
> Hmmm, I don't have a enough extras hanging around, but I may just have
> order up a batch of Arcs and try this out. I think it would have to
have
> another post to balance the weight better. Actually, I wish that many
of
> the larger ships had second posts - like the B5 stuff.

No problem with the big FSE ship.  Just find the center of mass, drill
a hole and insert the rod there.  I'm using a piece of brass channel
 that fits into a brass square tube that is epoxied to one of the
circular bases.  Not the least hint of tipping. If you wanted to make
a permanent base skip the channel and insert the tubing into the
ship.

Now that I have a scanner I'll have to take some pictures so I can
show this off, not that the bases are such a big deal, but with the
base seperate from the ship I have a really secure transport
method.  I could pack this with luggage on the plane (if I weren't
worried about them sending it to East Timor) with no qualms.

I wish I could claim credit for thinking of this, but I can't.

Roger

Prev: [somewhat OT] Status of the Space Interferometer Mission (SIM) Next: Re: Transport capacities