Prev: Re: Gothic Thrust - comments and questions Next: Re: Fleet reviews - IF, AE, FOR

RE: [FT]FSE Reinforcements

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 17:09:56 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT]FSE Reinforcements

> Nice page, I do have one comment about something I doubt would
> make it by the Admirals.

Thanks and comments are always welcome.

> Some of these ships have far too much SM capacity for the number
> of launchers.  12 spaces of SM's with 1 luancher in the Garibaldi
> is rather extreme.  Combats rarely last long enough to get all
> 6 launched.  It would be a far better design if you dropped 4 mass of
> storage and installed other weapons or added a second launcher.

Sure that is an option, but I created the Garibaldi and Chirac as I did
try and show their age.  Making old and outdated designs in FT can be
difficult since there are no tech level variations, a new system masses
the
same as an old.  So to make a class outdated and worth replacing, I
varied
the weapons load by reducing the Class 3 bats and increasing the class
2's
and 1's.  On the SMLs, I reduced the number of lauchers to make them
less
useful.  I can rationalize it saying at the time the class was created
there
were few ships of BDN or SDN size so they ruled the stars and they
always
survived to the end using all of their shots.  They were design choices
made and they are not muchkin ships (if you want an old ship in your
fleet,
sure take it, but it has limitations).	 Also you could say that current
FSE
policy is to use ER loads on these ships.  I do want opinions though, if
the
designs after being explained are still unuseable, I'll update them.

> The Colbert suffers from the same problem.  You can't really expect
> a CE to survive long enough to launch 3 SM's, although I guess you
> could have a standard loadout of 2 ERSM's.

I had already increased their beam armament by a class 2 so I thougt
another
would be too much.  The size 6 mag does give more options for loadouts
than
anything smaller, 3 regular, 2 ER, or 1 reg and 1 ER.

> Comments from the other FSE player(s)?

I know there are some other FSE players out there, are the mags too big
for
old ships?

Next up are the NSL.  Mostly beam weapons so they have their own issues.
Any NSL players have some thoughts on what older NSL ships are like
before I
get my versions up?

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
For the latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://www.homestead.com/star_ranger/index.html
star_ranger@my-deja.com

Prev: Re: Gothic Thrust - comments and questions Next: Re: Fleet reviews - IF, AE, FOR