Prev: Re: FT-Mobile Suits Next: Fleet reviews - IF, AE, FOR

Re: Transport capacities

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 14:09:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Transport capacities

Isn't that exactly what I said?  :)

>...This should change your calculations dramatically. ...

Actually, I intended for my calculations to be different from the
currently
accepted rates; that was the point.

I'm not disagreeing with your conversion rate; indeed, it sounds like we
are in agreement on the cargo requirements for vehicles.  Instead, I'm
suggesting that the cargo space requirements for personnel which have
been
carried over from MT may be too high.

Sixteen metric tons per leg trooper and one hundred metric tons for a
squad
of six?  Don't those sound a little high?  Even counting kit, rations,
and
other overhead, that's still an extraordinarily large allotment of cargo
space per trooper; especially when compared to the number of ship's crew
that routinely serve aboard the smaller ships.

By differentiating between the mass required for bunking troops and the
mass required for stowing their kit, the two values can be calculated
separately and their combined value more accurately determined.

I've seen some good posts on how much kit troops would need, but the old
"4
CS per trooper" rule of thumb keeps muddying the water; especially when
you
start comparing different types of troops.

I'm simply suggesting that we take a look at the question from a
different
angle and see if our assumptions are sound rather than simply accepting
the
MT values as canon just because we've always done it that way.

Jeff

Prev: Re: FT-Mobile Suits Next: Fleet reviews - IF, AE, FOR