Prev: Re: Jets Vs Vtol Next: Re: [FT] Jovian formation

Re: [FT] Jovian formation

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 22:47:19 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] Jovian formation

I've just looked over Phil's EW rules. Here's a first approximation:

target: completely passive (coming in on a hyperbolic, running
silent, no stealth), mass 26-50 (big enough to be dangerous) and
Superior military sensors. I'm interested in the maximum range at
which it's possible to get a loose LOB or a bogie marker. Maximum
roll of 6, +4 for the sensors. +1 for mass of target gives an 11.
That allows for -8 worth of range modifiers or 96".

That's a little close... I suspect the range bands should be doubling
in each increment, not increasing linearly. That'd make the range 12
* 2e8 or 3072" That's a bit much, although the worst case (farthest a
roll of 1 would detect our target above) detection would be our old
friend 96"

Now if we roll only when the conditions change instead of every turn,
the hunt take s a little longer, but may be more interesting (it also
has the potential to become a long drawn out two-person shadowboxing
match).

If the range bands for detection are doubling, then the various
levels of detection aren't too close to each other either. Still, I'm
going to take another look at some variant Traveller sensor systems I
have lying around here somewhere. I do admire Phil's rules for
fitting on two pages. I'll try for that too (another person who
thinks he has too much free time).

Of course, straight FT sometimes looks like distance in inches is
really a logorithmic scale. Note how the various Honor Harrington
conversions dramatically compress the differences between missile
range (10e6 km or 10e7 km) and energy weapon range (10e5 km). It's a
little odd, but it still plays well so I certainly won't complain.
Upping missile endurance (20 ?) would help , but would reduce the
facility of tabletop play something awful.

I'm going to do a new version of my Jovian diagram with a 96" and
384" ( a nice, midgrange detection result from Phil's rules)

That'll go up on the ImpDisp website listed below.

href="http://www.quixtar.com">http://www.quixtar.com</a></blockquote>

>that the size of the planetary orbits follow a numerical
sequence.&nbsp;
>There is more at&nbsp; <a
>href="http://users.nac.net/conklin/titius/titius.htm">this</a>
>site.&nbsp; This works for all of the planets except Neptune and
Pluto.&nbsp;
>(Astronomers are still arguing over that one.&nbsp; Some have suggested
>that Bode's Law applies to all star systems...)
>
></x-html>

Michael Carter Llaneza
Overkill: A Sufficient Preponderance of Firepower
Imperial Dispatches: http://www.flash.net/~maserati/ID/

Prev: Re: Jets Vs Vtol Next: Re: [FT] Jovian formation