Prev: Some in progress works [SG2 stuff] Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol

Re: [FT] Jovian formation

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 23:46:40 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Jovian formation

Laserlight wrote:

> I'm about to make a series of system maps (using Schoon's
> scale of 1 hex = 1/3 AU or 50 million km) for the inner
> systems for several stars.  If I can get Angelfire to behave
> tonight, I'll post the first one (Sol system) on or about
> www.angelfire.com/va/laserlight/fullthrust.html ; it will be
> followed by other strategically important systems like
> Alarish, New Zimbabwe, and New Persia (but not uninteresting
> and out-of-the-way places like Albion or Nova Moskva--if you
> think it's important, you make the map).
>
> Now, as I generate planets, I can either place their orbital
> distances randomly to suit myself, or I can generate them in
> accordance with whatever theory seems best at the moment.
> For Alarish, I put the brown dwarf at the distance to get
> the same insolation as Jupiter, on the theory that the local
> temperature was favorable for condensing a large planet
> there.  Pure speculation on my part.
>
> So, you astronomer blokes, once again we're going to call on
> your erudition:
> a) place orbits randomly?
> b) place major gas giant at Jovian insolation distance?
> c) other?
>
> --Chris  DeBoe
> Quixtar IBO#706882
> http://www.quixtar.com

Not an astronomer, but an interested party...

Ever heard of "Bode's Law"?  He was an astronomer who suggested that the
size of the planetary orbits follow a numerical sequence.  There is more
at  this site.	This works for all of the planets except Neptune and
Pluto.	(Astronomers are still arguing over that one.  Some have
suggested that Bode's Law applies to all star systems...)

Donald Hosford

Prev: Some in progress works [SG2 stuff] Next: Re: Jets Vs Vtol