Prev: Re: Attack vs. MultiRole Next: RE: Attack vs. MultiRole [CLEAN STAMP]

Re: GMS Air

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 18:52:19 +0100
Subject: Re: GMS Air

Los wrote:

> > Carl Gustav - another fine piece of Swedish engineering that the
> > Australian Army uses. Just be careful of the back-blast.
>
> A great weapon. The US actually bought a number of those which were >
used in the Ranger battalion to replace the venerable old 90mm
> bazooka. (There'a bazooka man in each ranger platoon).

> The US in general has been dicking around for a real longtime trying
> find a good GMS/p.

Well... neither the AT4 nor the CG is a GSM/p :-( The AT4 is an IAVR
(to use the DSII term); the CG is... well, a cross between a multi-use
IAVR and Light Artillery, or something. It can't fire ATGMs... at least
not yet :-/

> and then now the AT4 (though there are still a lot of M66 LAWs in
> the system to get rid of.)

> Most in the know have maintained that the way
> to go all along would have been the Carl Gustav for all US forces but
you > know how DOD is with foreign stuff...

>From my viewpoint it'd be *very* nice if all US forces adopted the CG
system <G>

While I'm at it, what do you think about the SMAW?

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Attack vs. MultiRole Next: RE: Attack vs. MultiRole [CLEAN STAMP]