Prev: B5 Crusade? Next: Re:B5 Crusade?

Re: Jets Vs Vtol

From: Popeyesays@a...
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 01:47:02 EDT
Subject: Re: Jets Vs Vtol

In a message dated 9/29/99 11:05:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
los@cris.com
writes:

<< Sounds like a good rule. Also units that are within a close proximity
of
 enemy units receiving direct fire (or being fired through)  could also
be
 subject to some check which may result in fratarcide. I happen to
believe
 that there will always be such incidents. It has as much to do with
being
 in a keyed up chaotic state of affairs as it has to do with any
technical
 factors. The very nature of having so much data about everything at the
 lowest levels on up ensures that we will never be able to grog it in a
 timely manner. It actiually clogs up the machine (I've seen it happen
many
 times at NTC/JRTC not to mention Desert Storm) Unless of course they
invent
 a new kind of human that can absorb all this info.

Not to cut into this discussion too much but "friendly fire" incidents
which
you guys are describing is NOT the same thing as "fratricide". The best
quick
example of fratricide is: A fighter pilots gets a tone on his heat
seeker and
pickles off one that needs to maneuver more so the second one fired has
straighter shot. The second missile sees the burning motor of the first
missile and homes on it instead of the target aircraft. One weapon
destroys
another friendly weapon. Homing torpedoes occassionally do this too.
Heat
seekers and homing weapons often home on the first weapon's detonation
too.

Prev: B5 Crusade? Next: Re:B5 Crusade?