Prev: RE: New Website: Starship Combat News Next: FT/SG interface

Re: [FT] B5 miniatures

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:32:07 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] B5 miniatures

there's a small, B5W mailing list only sale going on for the first
batch of prototype Fleet Scale minis:

	BW-412 Hyperion (3 per blister)
	BW-413 Vorchan/Demos (4 per blister)
	BW-404 Primus (2 per blister)
	BW-420 Olympus (3 per blister)

they're all $9.95 per pack, and I got one of the last of the Olmympii
blisters. Emailing address is agent1@agentsofgaming.com, other info
is as per www.agentsofgaming.com on the mail order page. Shipping was
$2 for 4 blisters (1 each).

I'll report to the list when the minis come in.

Scale-wise the Fleet figs should compare a lot better than the older,
display minis. A quick romp with a ruler reveals (for the current,
larger figs):

the Nova and Omega are about 4.5"
the Centauri Battlecruiser is 2 7/8" long and 3" wide

I'm thinking smaller would be better :-)

FWIW, a PuddingWorkshop battleship is just a touch longer than an AOG
Omega but is heftier (much) in the stern assemblies (battleship got
back ?), it's more than twice the price but is better cast and
detailed, and assembles better without heavy work (to get the keel
straight on the Omega takes work).

that's two opinions, $0.04 please

At 3:35 PM -0400 9/29/99, Phillip Atcliffe wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:02:31 -0400 (EDT) Roger Books
><books@mail.state.fl.us> wrote:
>
>> I'm rather happy about the Fleet Scale minis I received [...] <
>
>Well, I've only seen the Fleet Scale fighters, which are not too far
>removed from GZG's own fighters in scale -- slightly bigger, but not
>excessively so. They're quite finely detailed, but you pay for it --
>7.50Stg for 18, compared to 2.85 for the same number of the equivalent
>GF types. I also don't particularly like the big ring-stand, and the
>stand mounts on the underside of each fighter is much too chunky for my
>taste.
>
>> [...] but looking at AOG's page brings up a question.
>
>> How well do the current miniatures scale for FT? The up and coming B5
>miniature looks slightly larger than an FSE SDN, which is what I would
>want for a full size space station. Now, what I'm using for scale is
>the hex base. Does anyone know if they are using the standard size hex
>bases? <
>
>If you're referring to the original non-Fleet Scale minis, then they're
>fairly large in FT terms. Scale is not constant, either, so EA
>"corvettes" are bigger than "destroyers", which in turn are bigger and
>more powerful than "cruisers" (of course, that could just be the result
>of JMS's not-great grasp of naval terminology... <g>), and the classes
>don't carry across races -- thus, a Centauri destroyer is more like an
>FT/modenr DD in comparison with other classes, unlike an EA Omega. Most
>of the bigger ships require two stands for stability.
>
>The stands themselves have hexagonal bases that are the "usual" size
>(i.e., the size of standard plastic bases that come with GZG and other
>companies' minis).
>
>All in all, I'd say that the original B5 minis do best on a big table
>using 1MU = 1" or bigger.
>
>Hope this was what you wanted to know.
>
>Phil, who really _must_ get down to painting more B5 stuff....
>"If you let a smile be your umbrella... you'll get wet teeth!"
>   -- a forgotten comedian, quoted by me: Phil Atcliffe
>				(Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk)

Michael Carter Llaneza
Devolution is very real to me.
Overkill: A Sufficient Preponderance of Firepower
http://www.flash.net/~maserati/
Security and Privacy Alert:
http://www.cryptonym.com/hottopics/msft-nsa.html

Prev: RE: New Website: Starship Combat News Next: FT/SG interface