Prev: re: ground combat and bombardment Next: RE: Camo Schemes - Rot Hafen

Re: Camo Schemes - Rot Hafen

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:07:30 +1000
Subject: Re: Camo Schemes - Rot Hafen

Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:

> Alan E and Carmel J Brain wrote:
> > Yes, but it works in reverse too. I'm one of the people whose sight
is
> > shifted up an octave. So I can see the near UV.

>	  I've heard that the human retina is sensitive to
>	  near UV, but the human lens is opaque to it.	Therefore,
>	  people who have had eye surgery to replace their lenses
>	  with plastic ones could suddenly see in the near UV.

Yes, this is correct. There's enough variation in the human species so
that most people can see in the near UV, absent the lens problem (which
isn't a problem, it protects the eyes from damage). But there is a
minority who are descended from people who lived up high in the
mountains in cloudy areas who have lost the lens protection, but gained
better vision in cloud (and who have slightly different cones and rods,
less sensitive to UV damage). But this means deep reds are black to us -
they're Infra Red. More inconveniently, my differentiation between
bright red / Scarlet and dark orange is pretty poor (nonexistent
actually). Which has lead to some notable  painting disasters with
minis...

Then again, trying to describe silver-purple, the thin band of colour
just beyond blue is impossible. Others see it as an almost imperceptible
bright blue if really dark, or not at all. All I can say is, look at a
fluorescent lamp, it appears similar.

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: re: ground combat and bombardment Next: RE: Camo Schemes - Rot Hafen