Prev: [FT] Miniatures gallery update Next: Re: [FT] Miniatures gallery update

Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

From: JohnDHamill@a...
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:51:44 EDT
Subject: Re: How big is a troopship? [DS/FT/SG2] (and what it all means)

>> Even the Helos used in vietnam were armed some how. Though the slicks
>> (UH1 with door gunners) were discreet from the gunships.
>>

>But slicks were not designed to hang around and provide fire support
for
>infantry companies and that's my point. Big honking difference. Some
hueys
did
>carry heavier ewapons (mini guns and rockets but thse were dedicated
gunships.
>Please read and understand my posts more carefully before responding.
Thanks.

>Los

If you read any of the many histories of the Vietnam War you will read
of
lots of incidents of just that, Hueys with just door guns laying down
suppressing fire for troops on the ground, esp when there weren't enough

gunships to go around. So having your landing boats carry some decent
firepower to add to the general mayhem makes sense. It also makes some
sense
in the economic sense too, since you've already bought the airframe to
add
some firepower to it, rather than buy a new one. Also given the fact
that
troops have a tendency to add guns to just about any vehicle they get
there
hands on and you will probably have a LOT of guns to sweep the DZ.

Prev: [FT] Miniatures gallery update Next: Re: [FT] Miniatures gallery update