Prev: Re: Sandcasters, was [FT] Vector... Next: Re: Sandcasters, was [FT] Vector...

Sand casters

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:23:40 -0500
Subject: Sand casters

Jerry Han wrote:
>Somebody else can figure out the MASS and mechanics of the lauchers;
>I have to get back to work here.  (8-)

I posted the following numbers the last time this thread came up, a
little
over a year ago.

At the most commonly used scale (1" = ~1000km), the density of a sand
cloud
is not very cost effective compared to the amount of mass required; if
you
evenly dispersed a quantity of sand equal to the mass of a destroyer
into a
1" cubic volume, the density would be so low that a capital ship might
fly
through the resulting cloud without hitting a single grain.

Jeff

-----

At 05:00 PM 8/19/1998 -0500, Jeff Lyon posted this: