Prev: RE: Starship Troopers Action Fleet Next: Sand casters

Re: Sandcasters, was [FT] Vector...

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 08:14:49 -0700
Subject: Re: Sandcasters, was [FT] Vector...

>True, but I like the idea of laying down 'smoke screens' to protect
>freighters and other ships under convoy.

This can still be done with the launchers. You just place the sand and
maneuver the ships differently.

>Which means that if there's a sand cloud between a ship and a Class-1
>battery, you can't hit the ship.

This seems wrong to me. I think that a slightly different mechanic might
be
in order. Perhaps a -1 to the die roll, for beams, and/or a minus 1 to
the
damage roll of other weapons. Or maybe just minus 1 to the "to hit" roll
for any weapon.

>> I'd question this, unless you're maintaining that it interferes with
the
>> basic targetting somehow.
>
>That's the basis of the 'affects the broad EM spectrum' idea.	Assuming
>SMLs use something as plebian as radar (8-), sand should be able to
>scatter the signals, making targets harder to lock on to.

So if I understand this right, we're essentially making a high-tech
smoke
screen here.

>Whoever wants to hammer, hammer.  I'm still trying to get work
>done here.  Really.  (8-)

Sure you are... ;-)

Schoon

Prev: RE: Starship Troopers Action Fleet Next: Sand casters