Prev: Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; convoy raids Next: Re: Trouble gettin' stuff?

[sfconsim-l] Re: abstract movement system: HG/TCS

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:48:39 -0700
Subject: [sfconsim-l] Re: abstract movement system: HG/TCS

At 9:27 AM -0700 9/17/99, Steven Hudson wrote:
>From: shudson@lightspeed.bc.ca (Steven Hudson)
>
>>From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@flash.net>
>>Speaking of Traveller, I've just posted a reference diagram at
>>http://www.flash.net/~maserati/ID/jovianCampaign.html as a
>>visualization aid for Full Thrust-based games around a gas giant. The
>>one picture online to date has the first three major moons of Jupiter
>>(Io, Europa and Ganymede in alignment, with Thebe actually present
>>but not visible). I included a 36" sphere to provide a reference for
>>Full Thrust gaming.
>
>  Neat stuff, and it certainly makes for a nice piece of terrain (mind
>you, you need a gaming surface large enough to fit the outline of the
>patio table-top on :)
>
>  So 36" in FT is being called ~100,000 km here? That's a bit short for
>most Traveller versions; have you considered adding the effects of the
>planets gravity - Jupiter should have ~1 G out to three radii or so.

Like I said, the scale isn't mine, I'm trying to track it down. So
far I can't find it on the web anywhere, nor is it in my email
archives. I expect the author will turn up eventually, and we can ask
about the scale then. Failing that, I'll juggle the scale assumptions
if it looks necessary. I can send you a copy of the file I'm working
from; Excel, text or html would be available.

The next step would be sensor radii.  I'll probably concern myself
with the following passive sensor radii:

a) small System Defense Boat (400 tons)
b) battleship
c) orbital facility

The sensor ranges in Fire Fusion & Steel will give me ranges for
various sizes of passive arrays. Those'll be just to give me a
ballpark figure of about the right magnitiude. Visualizing sensor
ranges will give us a look at what kind of sensor coverage you really
can put around a gas giant. I can also do an animation so you can see
the sensor spheres from the orbital facilities orbiting the jovian.
Needless to say, the poles will have to get a fair amount of extra
attention or any approach from out of the orbital plane will bypass
all your fixed sensor arrays.
Michael Carter Llaneza
Devolution is very real to me.
Overkill: A Sufficient Preponderance of Firepower
http://www.flash.net/~maserati/
Security and Privacy Alert:
http://www.cryptonym.com/hottopics/msft-nsa.html

Prev: Re: [FT] Vector vs. cinematic; convoy raids Next: Re: Trouble gettin' stuff?