Prev: RE: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle Next: Spooks in Red Re: Terrain - Chenille?

Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:14:09 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Robert A. Crawford wrote:

>	Except if the ship's structure's been damaged enough to
> "break the keel", or if shock damage has knocked out systems
> outside of the impact area. If the torpedo's nuclear or somehow
> "radiation enhanced", you have to deal with its effects on the
> ship's equipment. Also, the hull damage probably destroyed some
> sensors, so the volume of space in the direction you took the
> hit will be "fuzzy" until you can make repairs.

Any ship that has a torp go off under its keel is going to have major
major problems. Any kind of rough seas and it will be on the bottom
fast.

>	I would be _very_ careful before I assumed a solid hit
> wouldn't cause problems for the entire ship.

Depends on the kind of hit. There was a destroyer in WWII that suffered
something like 5 Kamikaze hits before finnaly sinking. There was a
battleship in WWI that was struck by a torpedo and capsized. I can't
remember the damn name. One torp did her in. She capsized and sank. The
dying throws were captured on film, crew streaming all over her hull and

clambering up onto the side as it rolled over. Some made it to the
underside as it rolled over completely.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: RE: [FT] Re: Small vessels and the Line of Battle Next: Spooks in Red Re: Terrain - Chenille?